Privatoria is a VPN solution that offers both low prices and a series of powerful advanced features that recommend it for Deep Web access and other activities that the user wants to maintain anonymous. The company was founded in 2013 and the team that runs it has over 10 years of experience in the IT and Internet Security area. They are a based in the Czech Republic and their one and true mission is to support people’s right to privacy as one of the rights guaranteed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Privatoria is a reliable service that can be used by both individuals and companies that want to know their data is secure and their transmissions are shielded from any leakage. Also, the solution promises to fight malicious software that is specifically designed to steal and forward personal information by applying a complex approach in ensuring the user’s privacy. To support this statement, the Privatoria solution includes the following:
- Services (VPN and anonymous proxy) that allow the user to hide and mask the real IP address, anonymous internet browsing and site unblocking;
- A secure tunnel for each new communication line initiated via Privatoria servers. This means your video and regular calls are secure, the email is anonymous and any chat sessions are also impenetrable;
- Secure data storage and private FTP transfer
The Privatoria network is wide enough to cover 22 countries all over the world. Also, their servers offer access to the Tor network, without having to install the browser on your computer. Their Web Proxy Tor service offers access to over 63 node countries, and the network is continuously growing.
Privatoria Free Trial
The solution offers a free trial of 2 hours after which, if you don’t offer payment information, the account is blocked. To obtain these 2 hours of free testing, you only have to provide an available login name, and hit the “Start Free Trial” button. The system will generate and automatic password that will also be saved into your computer as a pdf file.
As a user who tests the service, you will have complete access to the Privatoria service, but since the time is limited, it’s best to test the ones you are most interested in. There is also the possibility to obtain a few more days of free usage, if you manage to score one of the two bonuses they have available:
- A user will receive 7 free days as a bonus if he/she rates the service by filling in a short survey provided by Privatoria;
- A user will receive 5 free days as a bonus if he/she manages to find a grammar mistake on their site.
Interface & setup
The first contact with the service is made through the web interface of the site, and Privatoria definitely wants to impress. The site looks professional and behaves well. All the information a user needs to know are available and easy to find, thus promoting complete transparence while seeding the trust in users’ hearts.
The fact that their most important features (anonymity, secure data transfer, and overall security) are clearly highlighted on the front page attracts the viewers and guides the users towards the Free Trial button. The control panel also has a clean interface, with the menu bar situated on the left and the main content placed on the center of the screen.
The client on the other hand, requires a bit of tweaking around in the operating system because it’s not actually an executable you can simply download and install. This can be intimidating for users who are used with this kind of software, but it is not difficult as all the information and documentation are provided by the solution.
For example, there are two ways to connect and use the Privatoria VPN solution on a Windows operated machine:
- By connecting using the L2TP/IPsec VPN Client that is already included in Windows (versions XP, 7,8,10 and Server versions 2003, 2008, and 2012).
- By using the OpenVPN GUI which will have to be downloaded and installed first.
The instructions for the first case are described in the control panel under Services / Secure VPN / Manuals. For the second case, after downloading and installing the OpenVPN GUI from their official site, all you have to do is add the OpenVPN configuration file for the server(s) you want to connect to. To do so, simply download the configuration from the control panel and drop it in the OpenVPN config folder.
In order to connect on a server using the OpenVPN GUI, you will have to work with the system tray. Simply right click on the icon in the tray, select the server you are interested in and click connect. The system will ask for your credentials and it will connect once they are introduced. You can follow the VPN’s status by observing the icon in the tray and its three colors (green for connected, yellow for trying to connect, and gray for disconnected).
The client is available for other operating systems and for mobile devices, but for each first time connection, the user will have to do some manual settings. Everything is thoroughly explained using both text and images, but if the user is not a technical person, this may scare them away.
As already mentioned, a user can connect to the server using either the L2TP/IPsec standard built-in the operating system, or via the OpenVPN GUI. The first type of connection uses a very good standard for encryption, the AES-256 with a pre-shared key, and the second type also goes with AES.
Privatoria also offers access to the Tor network for those who need to increase the level of security and anonymity. Even more, peer-to-peer connections are allowed on almost all servers, except on the ones hosted in US and Canada
Privatoria takes privacy seriously and, being located in a non-US country, it is not bound by law to keep logs. And they don’t keep any logs that could connect a person with his/her activities online while using Privatoria servers.
The team strongly believes in a free online world where users don’t have to look over their shoulder when making financial transactions or accessing certain sites. This is why the process is transparent and doesn’t require any personal information. The account is created using an anonymous email address that can’t be traced back to the user. Also, if you use the credentials for this email, you won’t be able to get them back as Privatoria doesn’t store such data. They do see information that are publicly available when the account is created or when a connection has been initiated, but they do not store any of these information.
Many VPN solutions on the market allow their users to be tracked via the payment methods but this is not the case with Privatoria because they use independent secure payment gateways. This way, there is no connection between the user’s login data and payment details.
The speed and connection availability are a bit of a problem with Privatoria. There are certain servers that were not available when we initiated a connection. Also, the speed is good enough for browsing but not so great for streaming or downloading. It is a shame about this and we hope they make some well needed improvements here.
Privatoria can be used by both companies and individuals as it allows for the following activities:
- Secure email & chat sessions;
- Secure video and regular calls using a tool like Skype;
- Great for peer connections and torrent usage;
- Access to the Deep Web through the Tor network;
- Access to geographically restricted sites like Netflix and Pandora;
- Secure cloud storage and FTP access;
- Anonymous surfing and secure file transfers.
The main features supported and promoted by Privatoria are as follows:
- Secure VPN – access to a secure network that not only keeps your personal data safe, it also shields you from malicious software like malware and spyware. Even more, the secure VPN feature offers access to online streaming sites that are blocked based on your geographical coordinates;
- VPN plus Tor – Privatoria gives access to the most popular network that offers users complete privacy, without asking the user to know the technical details the Tor browser asks. The Privatoria VPN client is specially designed to use the Tor settings automatically;
- Anonymous Proxy – using this feature, the user can hide and mask their IP address thus browsing completely anonymously;
- Secure chat, call, and video call – a very important feature for companies that use online technologies to transfer confidential files and communicate with employees and partners.
- Anonymous email – Privatoria offers businesses the possibility to communicate via a secured email line that can also be made anonymous by changing the sender’s IP address.
- Secured Cloud Storage
- Secured FTP access
- Secure DNS
All these features make Privatoria one of the solutions to consider for both small to medium size companies and to individuals.
Privatoria doesn’t use a software client developed by them and this makes it compatible with most operating systems available on the market:
- Microsoft Windows
- Apple Mac OSX
Pricing and Checkout
Privatoria supports 3 different types of packages, all differentiated by their period of subscription. Thus, if you want to start with 1 month of service, you will pay $3.90 and if you want a longer period of time you have the 6 and 12 month options. For 6 months you will pay $2.90 per month, charged as one off payment of $17.40, and for 12 months the amount is $1.90 per month, charged as one off payment of $22.80.
The checkout process is very simple. The user has to select the wanted period and the payment method and then submit the payment. The accepted payment methods are credit cards, PayPal and Bitcoin, but there is also the possibility to pay with a promo code (if you have one).
The support team is easy to access from both the site interface and the control panel. On the site, there is a live help add-on that can be accessed on the right side, and in the control panel, the Support button is situated on the top-right corner.
The team is responsive and quick in answering any questions related to their product. Also, the control panel offers access to a series of manuals that will teach a beginner user everything about Privatoria.
Privatoria is a VPN solution that promotes a series of amazing features when it comes to online privacy and safety while browsing and using online services. It also gives users access to the Tor network without making them deal with their technical browser, and offers great peer-to-peer access. The speed issues still need some attention though as if it were me wanting a VPN I would want one that has great privacy while also delivering excellent speeds.